Dreamcatchers

Dreamcatchers

Friday, April 8, 2016

April Showers

Spring brings the best fishing of the year to southeast Tennessee. But in April, spring often brings the rain. I have been practically living at the Hiwassee over the past month. At least fishing twice a week! Yesterday was the best dry fly fishing of the season so far! I was met with a nasty storm, but nothing my waders and a solid rain jacket couldn't handle. I tried a smaller grey wulf pattern yesterday and it did not disappoint. There were plenty of bugs on the water, both caddis and BWOs. But I was getting sufficient hits on my fly so I didn't bother changing. Something I have noticed over the past few years is that brown trout seem to love the grey wulf pattern. And lucky for me, I also love brown trout. So I often am compelled to stick with the grey pattern, to tangle with the browns! Yesterday's prize was a nice hefty 15 or 16 inch brown trout. We tangled in a fight I will not soon forget. Also had a new thing happen to me yesterday. I casted my line out and put my rod in my mouth, out of laziness, so that I could tie my boot. As I was tieing I felt a jerk on my line. I tugged a little with my mouth but but didn't think much. Then all the sudden I felt some serious movement on the end of my line (keep in mind my rod is still in my mouth) I quickly finished tying my shoe and picked up my rod to feel a fish on the other side. I can honestly say I have never caught a fish with my mouth before. But now even that has happened! I hope to be back out over the weekend! Get out and enjoy spring! Til next time

-Dreamcatchers




Cool scene after the storm rolled through


One of the many browns that ended up on the other end of my line

No comments:

Post a Comment