Dreamcatchers

Dreamcatchers

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Road Prong and Little Pigeon

Great Smoky Mountains National Park 10-

Road Prong and the Little Pigeon

I woke up early with my sights set on fishing the Clinch River, legendary for its huge trout. I followed plan, waking up and driving to the Clinch. I decided to try a spot I had fished before. The morning water was freezing cold which complicated matters since I forgot my waders. After about an hour of no bites and freezing cold water temps, I decided to alter my plans. I have long desired to fish the West Prong of the Little Pigeon, so I set my eyes on that. When I arrived at the Chimney Tops Trailhead I decided I would hike up a mile to the Road Prong (a tributary of the Little Pigeon) Trail. I had read the Road Prong has a good supply of brook trout throughout. After reaching the trail I hiked up about another mile or so, trying to find an access point to the river. I found a small water drainage trail that provided just enough space for me to crawl down to the river below. I dropped in right below a cascade and worked my way all the way down the river, until its run in with the trail. Fishing was red hot, brook trout almost bit on every cast on the Road Prong. The trout were small in size but had alot of fight in them. Each trip to the Smokies provides its own unique story and experience, and this was no different. Til next time

-Dreamcatchers
A storm rolls in over the Smokies

Destination Road Prong

Trail heading up Road Prong

I dropped in right at this cascade

Fooled him

Little Brook Trout

A great run on Road Prong

Lizard observing my fishing skills

Another nice run

Gotcha

A better sized brook, but still small

West Prong of the Little Pigeon

Looking downstream

Small rainbow

Another rainbow poses for the camera















No comments:

Post a Comment